It wouldn’t surprise me if you’re reading this post thinking ‘I wish I could be just a little bit happier today’. Well, in my opinion, life is far too short to dwell on unhappy thoughts or map out a miserable existence for yourself. Over the years, I have learnt to turn my weaknesses into strengths, remembering not to focus on the negatives and instead focusing on the positives no matter how small the victory.
Read on to discover my top tips for staying happy and how you could make just a few simple changes and tap into an entirely new feeling of happiness, redefining what ‘happy’ means to you.
10 small changes you can make daily to help improve your happiness
- Drink More Water. You probably aren’t surprised to hear that your average adult body is made up of approx 50-65% water. Adapting your daily habits and allowing yourself to drink more water can make the world of difference and can lead to: clearer skin, improved kidney function, increased productivity and reduced sickness to name just a few.
- Stop Procrastinating. Instead, just do that one thing you’ve been procrastinating over. Whether it be to start baking, eat healthier or even to make a life changing decision.
- Take Baby Steps. If you have a goal in sight, take just a few baby steps each day and you’ll be closer to your goal than ever before.
- Relive Your Childhood. You’ll never be too old to have fun! Do something you loved as a child which really put a smile on your face and which you haven’t done for years.
- Unplug From Social Media. Even if it is just for one day, make better use of your time and unplug from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. Why not give your full attention to friends, family and pets? Or use your free time wisely to make small steps towards a long term goal you are aiming towards.
- Do Something You’ve Been Putting Off. I cannot stress how good it feels to get that one thing that has been clouding your brain like a rain cloud, done. It feels like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders and really does make you feel happier. So go on, get cracking with something you’ve been putting off and see how happy you can make yourself feel.
- Surround Yourself With Positive Peers. Think of it this way, do the people you spend the most time with a) Make you feel happy and energised? b) Support your life choices and goals? c) Make you feel like you have what it takes to succeed with these goals and/ore choices? If you answered yes to any of these questions the chances are that you probably already have a wonderful group of friends who make you feel fabulous!
- Exercise More. I can vouch for this. Regular and challenging exercise has ultimately lead to me making new friends, growing in confidence while also becoming a stronger woman both physically and mentally. Why not try adding just one new form of exercise to your weekly routine?
- Dwell On Positive Things. Rather than dwelling on the negatives and spending countless nights awake worrying, try to focus on the positive things which have happened in your day, week, month, year or even something positive which has happened in the past.
- Lastly, Smile. Oddly, smiling is known to make you, the person smiling, happy (or at least happier) regardless of the situation you are faced with. The brain releases endorphin’s which we know help reduce levels of stress and improve you overall mood.
If you’re not already feeling happy today, why not try one of these ten small fixes to improve your happiness levels today?